Lots of professional education happenings at URISA.
· Just finished up the URISA Leadership Academy in Denver last week. Happy to report that the reviews of the week-long program were phenomenal. The event sold out 2 months early and we had participation from Canada, Cayman Islands and more than 20 U.S. states. Denver was a great location… the airport ‘hub’ factor really helped get folks there efficiently and we had also had substantial representation from the Rocky Mountain and Northern Rockies states.
· GIS in Transit Conference – a biennial conference presented in conjunction with the Transportation Research Board (TRB) and National Center for Transit Research. There will be more than sixty presentations focused on improving public transit using GIS. If you don’t specifically work with transit, please take a moment to send along the info to someone in your organization who does. The event is the first week of September in Washington, DC. Early registration discounts until July 13.
· GIS-Pro & NWGIS 2015 – full speed ahead! The education is solid for the conference. Have you checked out the program yet? Early registration discounts are available until July 27. Spokane’s Grand Hotel is officially open now and the venue is outstanding. It truly is a gorgeous property with beautiful surrounding scenery with the Spokane River, etc. Lots to do in the immediate vicinity. It’s going to be a great conference. Start making your travel plans now if you have not yet done so.
· 2016 GIS/CAMA Technologies Conference – A milestone conference will take place in Savannah, Georgia in late February: the 20th anniversary joint conference between URISA and the International Association of Assessing Officers. The conference is a mainstay for those interested in property tax, assessment and GIS. It is always a well-attended and well-reviewed conference. Abstract submissions are due September 21 for next year’s conference.
· URISA’s 2016 Caribbean GIS Conference – The contract is nearly finalized for the next Caribbean GIS Conference! Just about every two years (since 2001), URISA has been hosting Caribbean GIS professionals for substantial education and networking. It’s the primary GIS event in the region. Looks like we’re heading to Barbados (the site of the 2nd regional conference) next year (September 5-8, 2016). Watch for more detail and the Call for Abstracts coming soon.
· GIS-Pro 2016 – The ink is nearly dry on the 2016 GIS-Pro hotel contract. Pleased to announce that we’ll be heading to Toronto, Ontario for the conference (October 31-November 3, 2016). The last time we brought the annual conference to Canada was Vancouver, BC in 2006 and the participation numbers were phenomenal. Cannot wait to head back. The conference will be at the Westin Harbour Castle hotel, right on Lake Ontario. Perfection! The Call for Abstracts will be announced after GIS-Pro 2015.
· 2016 URISA Leadership Academy – Leaning toward next July in Chicago for the next ULA. (Found out the Esri UC is in June next year instead of July). Stay tuned.
So URISA will head East, West, South, Midwest and North in the next 18 months or so. Hopefully you can join us for professional education at one or more venues!
Executive Director - URISA